Welcome to the third installment of our Mexican Mouthwatering Monday series! In case you missed the past couple weeks, don’t forget to check out Catalina’s Tamales and Al’s Homemade Guacamole. This week is dedicated to the burrito, one of my personal favorite foods! I’ve adapted this recipe from Vegan in the Freezer. These black bean burritos are super easy — just throw it all in the crock pot, it’ll cook while you’re at work, and dinner will be ready when you come home!
2 15-ounce cans of diced tomato
2 15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed
1 cup dry brown rice
1 cup of frozen corn
2 cups of water or vegetable broth
1/4 cup of salsa
1 sweet pepper, chopped (any color)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 packet of taco seasoning (or 2 tbsp of your own mixture)
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
Rinse the black beans in a colander and dump into the slow cooker.
Add the brown rice.
Chop the sweet pepper and onion, add to the crock pot.
Add the rest of the ingredients and spices.
Give it a good stir.
Set your crock pot to low and let the burritos cook for 8 hours.
Scoop your black bean burritos into tortillas and add your favorite toppings — avocado, lettuce, sour cream, whatever! I had mine with spinach and a side of romaine and cherry tomatoes. Yum!
- 2 15-ounce cans of diced tomato
- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 2 cups of water or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup of salsa
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Rinse the black beans in a colander and add to the crock pot.
- Chop the pepper and onion.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and spices to the crock pot.
- Cook for 8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Serve with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings. Enjoy!