Happy New Year everyone! Hopefully you all had a fantastic New Year’s Eve and will have a great 2015! I’m on winter break, so my 2015 is going pretty awesome so far — albeit very, very lazy. Do you ever feel like you’ve reached the end of Netflix? Sometimes I have trouble finding something decent to watch! They just added all of Friends though, so I have 200-something episodes to occupy my time in the next couple weeks of break. Yay!
Anyway, last night the hubs and I rocked breakfast for dinner, and made this easy frittata. I had never made one before, but I updated a recipe I found on Paleo Newbie and it worked really well! We’ll definitely be adding this bacon frittata to our recipe rotation. Plus it’s a great excuse to use my cast iron, which I often forget to break out.
12 ounces bacon, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
8 large eggs
1/3 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
Salt, to taste
Generous grinding of black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet to medium heat. Chop the bacon and cook in the skillet until it’s beginning to crisp.
In the meantime, chop the onions and peppers.
Crack 8 eggs into a large mixing bowl (mine’s a Fiesta pedestal bowl in Tangerine) and whisk in 1/3 cup of full fat coconut milk, 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
After the bacon begins to crisp, add in the onions and cook until they start to become translucent. Add in the chopped peppers and cook for about one minute.
Add in the spinach and cook until wilted. Dump the bacon and vegetables into the egg mixture and quickly whisk together. Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in the skillet, making sure to cover the edges as well as the bottom.
Pour the egg mixture back into the pan and cook on medium heat until the edges begin to set (about 2-3 minutes). Carefully put the whole skillet into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn the broiler on for 1-2 minute to brown the edges and top a little bit.
Let cool before serving. You can cut slices and serve right out of the skillet, or carefully slide the frittata onto a plate or serving platter.
You could easily switch up the veggies and meat to suit your tastes, but it’s hard to beat the salty and smoky taste of bacon!
- 12 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 8 large eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- Generous grinding of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut milk, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat and cook bacon until almost crisped.
- Add in onions and cook until almost translucent. Add in peppers and cook for 1 minute. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Dump the bacon and vegetables into the egg mixture and quickly whisk together.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in the skillet and make sure to cover the edges as well as the bottom.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and heat until the edges begin to set. (2-3 minutes)
- Carefully place the skillet into the oven and cook for 15 minutes. To brown the edges, turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
- Let cool, serve, and enjoy!