Okay, so I’m a little obsessed with muffins. It’s like eating dessert for breakfast, but nobody can judge me. Plus they’re delicious, sweet, and very portable. Since I love them so much am always trying new muffin recipes. These banana muffins are an old favorite that can easily be jazzed up with chocolate chips, nuts, or raisins. I’ve tried to health-ify them bit, which is why you’ll see whole wheat flour, unsweetened applesauce, and a little less sugar than usual. Don’t worry, they’re still delicious and very moist! They’re actually egg-free and vegan, which is a nice little bonus (I never seem to have eggs around!).
Ingredients for 24 muffins:
6-7 very ripe bananas
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 dash of ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees.
Put all of the ingredients above the line into a large bowl. If you want chunkier muffins, set aside 2 of your bananas. I put everything into my Kitchenaid stand mixer.
If you’re also using a Kitchenaid stand mixer, mix for about 2 minutes on level 2. You could also use a hand mixer on low. There should still be visible banana chunks.
In a separate bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt.
Slowly pour your flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mixing as you go. I used level 2 (low) again. Turn off the mixer when all of the flour is mixed. If you opted for chunkier muffins, cut your two remaining bananas into chunks and gently fold into the muffin batter.
Spray two muffin pans (12 muffins each) with cooking spray, or use cupcake liners. Scoop the batter into the muffin slots, filling each about halfway. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
When done, take the pans out of the oven and allow to pan to cool to the touch.
Take the muffins out of the pans and place them on a cooling rack. I left mine out for about half an hour before putting them in gallon size bags for storage.
These whole wheat banana muffins turned out super moist and yummy! My husband and I each had two right out of the oven. Mmmm…
- 6-7 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 dash of ginger
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the bananas, sugar, shortening, applesauce, spices, and vanilla extract to a large bowl.
- Mix on low for about two minutes, leaving some banana chunks.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Slowly add the flour mixture while mixing on low. Stop mixing when all the flour has been combined.
- Spray 2 muffin pans (12 muffins each) with cooking spray or use cupcake liners. Fill each muffin spot about halfway.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes then put the muffins on a cooling rack.
- Serve and enjoy!